Antonio Citterio was born in Meda, Italy in 1950, opened his own design studio in 1972, and received a degree in architecture from Milan’s Polytechnic University in 1975. From 1987 to 1996 he worked with Terry Dwan and together they designed offices in Europe and Japan. In 1999 “Antonio Citterio and Partners” was founded as a multidisciplinary design studio for architecture, industrial design and graphics; founding partners were Antonio Citterio and Patricia Viel. The studio develops projects for residential and commercial complexes, industrial facilities, preservation/restoration of public buildings, planning of workspaces, offices, showrooms, and hotels; it is also active in the area of corporate communications and carries out coordinated image projects, installations/outfitting and graphics. Antonio Citterio currently works in the industrial design sector with Italian and foreign firms such as Ansorg, Arclinea, Axor-Hansgrohe, Aubrilam, B&B Italia, Flexform, Flos, Fusital, Guzzini, Iittala, Inda, Kartell, Maxalto, Sanitec Group – Pozzi Ginori, Simon Urmet, Technogym, Tre PiÃ¹, and Vitra.
In April of 2000, the company opened new headquarters in Milan at Via Cerva 4, and a month later, offices in Hamburg, at Wrangelstrasse 75b. In 2004 a monograph entitled “Antonio Citterio Industrial design” was published by Electa, and in 2005 another monograph entitled “Antonio Citterio”, edited by Luigi Prestinenza Puglisi, was published by Edilstampa.
Since 2006, Citterio has been a professor of design at the Architecture Academy of the University of Italian Switzerland (Accademia di Architettura della UniversitÃ della Svizzera Italiana). In 2007 the jury for the Mies van der Rohe Award selected Citterio’s “GlaxoSmithKline Day Nursery” project for inclusion in its traveling exhibition and catalog. In July of the same year, Skira issued a monograph entitled “Antonio Citterio. Architecture and Design”. Citterio also received the prestigious 2007 “Royal Designer for Industry” award from the “Royal Society for the encouragement of the Arts, Manufactures & Commerce” in London; and was named to the Italian Design Council established by the Italian Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities.